Pages

Monday, August 31, 2020

ch 13 preview

 preview ch 13 Z

The mob of people almost looked like a dance or at least a parade. Everyone laughed and some even sang. The children run up and down the trail of people. It had to be the slowest parade ever. Everyone who came up to him, he would stop and laugh with. Place his hand on top of their head. I looked from face to face. Most of these people I have cheated in more ways than one. They certainly would throw things at me if they know I was up here, and it would be well deserved. As He approached there was a shimmer that moved with him, my hand started to shake, and my mind started racing. What if I dropped out of the tree and invited him to dinner? Maybe he could help me fix me the mess. Then the shimmer seemed to disappear and a shadow surrounded me. I heard a voice that felt like claws going down my spine. “You are worthless. You made your choices. Do you think this man is able to erase a life of disgusting bile? “I don't know,” I choked out. A tear slipped from my cheek and disappeared into the dust on the road. Then He looked up.
Jesus, the man rumored to be the Messiah, looked up. His face was hard as granite, and I swear I saw his eyes sparked. But somehow, I know it wasn’t for me. The shadow immediately dissipated, and I looked down into the brightest smile I had ever seen. Had there been a shadow? Was I hallucinating? His voice broke through my thoughts. “Zacchaeus! Quick! Come down. I must be a guest in your home today!” I saw the shocked faces and sneers. I heard nasty comments. But as quickly as I could, I got out of the tree, bum hip and all! On the short walk to my house Jesus asked me how I was doing. He asked how business was and how my hip was. Then the voice was back in my head. “Teacher, I understand that since now you know who I am, if you would rather have other accommodations,” as I hung my head. “Who told you that I didn’t want to spend time with you Zacchaeus?” When he said my name, I had never heard it spoken like that. Not in fury and disappointment like my parents use to, or in mockery with the other boys who were all so much better than me due to my short stature. I had heard my name mentioned thousands perhaps millions of times, but never had it sounded like that.
I invited him in. In a whirl, I order the preparation to be made for dinner. But Jesus beckoned me over to him. “Those voices are from the pit. They lie and taunt and bring pain.” “Master, what am I to believe? What am I to do?” “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself.”

Image may contain: 1 person, beard and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment