Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Testimony



 The word of my testimony

I had a childhood friend who loved to argue with me. Ok, we loved to argue with each other.


Both of us were stubborn as the day is long. Sometimes we could argue all day about such stupid and mundane things, but once in a while we got on to the topic of God and does He exist. Even before I personally knew Him, I believed God was present. Even before I gave myself to him, I would argue with this friend about how a Creator has to exist. Then of course he gave me all the reasons on how one couldn’t possibly exist.
Once I had a personal encounter with the living God, I thought I had him. I had proof He was real. I told my friend my personal testimony and he wrote it off as emotional highs and theatrics. I was heartbroken. Because what once was just a battle to be right, was now a battle for a soul. From time to time the topic would come up again, and neither one of us willing to concede any ground. One day, I felt God tell me in my heart, “Have peace. You have told him the Truth. Now it is bringing more division. Have patience.” Every time the subject would come up, I felt at peace and all I would answer was “someday you’ll know.” I’d throw in an occasional “I’m praying for you.” Of which he laughed at.
This is no great conversion story. I have no idea as to where his faith is now. Years and miles separate us and perhaps, if God wills it, we will have a chance to catch up sometime.
Scripture tells us in Peter 2:9 “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, that you may declare the Praises of Him who called you out of darkness and into his wonderful light.” What can I give Him as poor as I am? I can give Him the word of my testimony.
One of my favorite comedic lines of the bible is when the religious leaders are asking the man who Jesus gave sight to, if the man thought that this healer came from the enemy. The guy actually says, “Whether he is a sinner I do not know. One thing I do know, I was blind, now I see.” John 9:25
It is as simple as that. I was blind but now I see. We sing it in the old hymns and the new worship music. We preach it in the pulpit or in the form of social media. Listen, I was blind. Not seeing life for what it was. I was being deceived on where to put my importance. I was lied to about my value. I was ruled by my ever-shifting feeling, AND YET. Jesus came. Now I see! When I opened my eyes at the alter where I gave my all to Jesus, I remember opening my eyes and everything seemed crisper. Cleaner. Like I really did see differently. But it wasn’t just the physical seeing. I know knew and could “see” in the spiritual.
Many of us go day to day just making it to the next one. Living for the weekend or some vacation or something to fill that void. Many of us will go to our graves without ever having the chance to “see.” One day when I was reading the bible it occurred to me that I would have probably been one of the blind beggars. My eye sight was terrible as a child and has just gotten progressively worse. If I don’t have my glasses on, I see blurs of color. I literally have to reach out and find my glasses by hand on my stand because I can’t see them inches away. That is where so many of us are spiritually. The saddest part is that some of us THINK we are seeing. Maybe just getting by like a flashlight in a darkened room, but what more could you see if I flicked on the light switch.
Testimony is the evidence or proof provided by the existence or appearance of something. No one will escape death. Not one. The truth is that you will meet your Maker face to face. You must decide NOW which path you will follow. The path of the world, which is wide and many are on it and it leads to destruction. OR the path of salvation that is narrow and only few find it.
In Revelations 12, it says the enemy was tossed to the earth after losing his battle with God’s Hosts. The enemy first went after the woman who would give birth to the male child (Jesus), but God protected. Frustrated this demon or dragon then went “off to wage war against the rest of her offspring- those who keep God’s commands and hold fast to their testimony of Jesus.” Rev 12:17 But how are we to be saved? “So, faith comes from HEARING, and hearing through the WORD of God.” Roman 10:17
Those that hold fast to their testimony of Jesus. The words we share about the evidence or proof He has made in my life. He cries out, “Who will tell my story?”
Guys, I could stand with the writers of old to proclaim this truth. “I will praise you to all of my brothers; I will stand up before the congregation and testify of all the wonderful things You have done.” Psalm 22:22. “Come and listen, all you who fear God, and I will tell you what He has done for me.” Psalm 66:16 “I want you all to know about the miraculous signs and wonders the Most High God has performed for me.” Daniel 4:2
There used to be an old TeenMania line that said “How do you know Jesus is real?” The response said “Because He changed my life.” I could tell you stories of how He has provided ways when there was NO WAY. There were times I have felt His comfort and peace. Times that thing worked out so perfectly without any of my intervention. How I wish I could sit with you and share my heart. My faith. What He has done for this sinner who never deserved it and never could earn it.
This Christmas, this is what I bring. The word of my testimony. I could testify like the blind man. This is what I know. I was this way and now I am that. I felt this and then in a moment it all was gone. The Bible says the word of my testimony is powerful so I will continue to tell my story as long as I have the breath to tell it. And probably after that! Not that it would bring a ounce of Glory to me, but all of it to the transforming and REAL power of the blood. “This is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is found in His Son.” 1 John 5:11
What can I give Him? I give Him the word of my testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment