Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Ode to Pastor Roy and Janice Gearhart

 

This picture is everything. I seriously get choked up over it. The man in the front and the woman in the back row three people over literally changed the trajectory of my life (With the Holy Spirit of course).


We have a  little white church on top of the hill here where I love and it shares a Pastor with another church in another town. These two people started a youth group. He PASTORED and DID THE YOUTH. Trust me, we were quite the bunch and he put up with his fair share for sure. I know quite the crown awaits Roy and Janice Gearhart in heaven. We were a small group on top of the hill. We met once a week. Sometimes there would be 2 kids sometimes more, but they KEPT SHOWING UP! Trust me, we had zero interest in discussing God, Jesus, the Bible, or anything of the sort. We just wanted to hang out. THEY KEPT SHOWING UP! They introduced us to Christian music and took us places. They showed the love of Christ through sleepovers, pancakes, and hikes. They loved us at our most selfish and unlovable time in our lives (hello middle school and high school.) 

One day they asked if we wanted to go to camp. I did not have the money or the want to. They raised money for us to go. That little white church said to us YOU ARE WORTH IT! Pastor Roy convinced us to go. And Guys.......I GOT SAVED. 

From there I have shared the gospel by becoming a counselor my self at Christian camp. My whole family got saved! My kids are saved. Roy and Janice broke generational curses (with Jesus of course) BY JUST SHOWING UP FOR US. 

I don't remember one lesson Pastor Roy taught. But I do remember Janice and His love. Oh how they loved us. Pastor Roy gave me my first Bible. Who would I be if they were too busy? If they thought us too difficult. If they didn't love us so well. I pray they know how much they mean to us. Everyone of us were impacted by their love of Jesus. 

NOW- Scott and I used to be youth leaders ourselves. We loved it. Took kids on trips, did worship, and gave them the word. Then we started moving around and well, 5 kids and all. I have 4 children who are youth group aged. They don't want preached at by mom again. 

Listen, if you are in a church that does not have a youth group, I plead with you to step up. I am not talking to Pastor's here because they got plenty on their plate. We need people who will LOVE our children. That is the only requirement. There are lessons on line and games. But let them gather and talk over the hard stuff and get out their Bibles. 

Today more than ever we need our kids in church and learning the word. Learning the TRUTH. The have so many falsehoods coming from all angles. They need truth and they need loved. Please, please consider what you could do for this ministry. If you already have a youth leader - AWESOME- give them a starbucks card. Maybe offer to drive, or donate money to the youth. If that little white church on the hill wouldn't have helped pay, I never would have made it to camp. MAYBE God would have caught me another way in time. But I was already heading down a not so great path. Even if you single out your youth and say hello. Ask them questions. Connect with them so they know they are wanted there. 

People- we got to get our kids. If we think that they are going to be just ok with no church and no youth then the world culture will gladly and effortlessly snatch them away. We are the heads in our house. I decided a long time ago "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord." My kids may get tired of my quoting scripture at them, or hanging  it all over the house. I may be a different kind of mom, but my kids are going to KNOW Jesus or I'll die trying. 

But I need your help. Your church needs your help. You could be the one. Your choice could impact generations. Please, pray, and consider showing up. 

Roy and Janice Gearhart- I love you both with all my heart. I know you have heard me say it before but I'll say it again- Thank-you for showing up and loving us. 





No comments:

Post a Comment