Pages

Monday, January 17, 2022

The Arts=Life





We interrupt your regularly  scheduled programming for this message.



        You all know by now I am a Jesus girl. BUT did you know that I was once a proud actress/vocalist of the Cambria Heights School District Music/ Musical Program. I was a VERY shy kid. Would never talk in class. Would hate when the teacher called on me to speak. I was very quiet and never, ever wanted to be noticed. I also never "fit" anywhere. 

UNTIL I got old enough to join chorus. Singing.  My Son got a key chain from his grandparents yesterday that said "Where words fail, there is music" and he said "mom, that's me." AND that's me. When I sang I could breath. I could be loud. I feel confident. It took me out of my box and made me ME. Then I joined theater. When I say it literally saves lives that is no joke. I was heading down a not so great path. But although I KNOW Jesus pulled me off it, I also know he used the Arts to do it.

 When I was on stage I was someone else. I didn't have to hide in my corner. I was so and so. I could dance and sing and all I saw was the stage lights. People faded away. It was me and the stage. I also made the best friends and made the strongest of bonds. Theater people don't judge. They are real about their struggles and life. We "act" on stage, but then we are free to get real with those around us about our true struggles. Others chime in or simply hug us. They tell us we are someone and something! 

The day my William told me he was joining Chorus I about cried. When he said he was joining the musical I did cry. He is my shy, awkward, sweetest soul child, I knew this was his moment. He was blessed with an incredible voice. This would be perfect for him. I never thought it possible but the music program at Cambria Heights has made him a LEADER. He is the "torch bearer" which is the guy handing out all the encouragement. If you would have known his in 5th grade you would not believe it. William has friends from every walk of life. He loves them so passionately. I am willing to bet, with the help of His faith and Jesus, he has saved quite a few souls with his perfect words. 

When I hear about programs being cut, my heart feels such a pain I swear it is going to fall out of my chest. Sure, we need to learn about balancing a checkbook, and reading the local news. BUT the Arts mold us into PEOPLE. It gives us vision and strength. It provides us with LIFE. 

Support your local Arts program. Truly, it is saving someone's life. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment