Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2023

skunk?

Does anyone know how to get skunk spray off of a phone? I have a perfectly good reason for needing this advice. Now, my husband might not think so or some of you but to me it is a PERFECTLY good reason. 

I went for my walk yesterday. Oh, how I love summer. I came across this sign. I chuckled because it fit in nicely with the book I was listening to on tape. Basically, we don't know what is ahead but we do know who will join us there. I have been thinking a lot into the future. I will be returning to teaching on the fall and will be entering into a NEW grade. 1st. All the feels on that one. My kids are now blindingly so getting older. They are moving into themselves. My role is changing in so many areas at once. Sometimes I feel like I just need a minute (or month) to just catch up on everything. Even to think on where I am heading. But like the sign clearly says there will be twists and turns that I didn't see coming for me. Some for good and some for growing. As I walked on my twists and turns I ran into a friend. 





Yes, that is a baby skunk. Standing on the side of the road while cars hurriedly whip right past. NOW, in my defense, last summer I experienced a similar situation. I was driving when I saw him being whipped around from the wind of people's tires driving past. So I did what any sane person would do. I turned around and parked. Right there in a curve I was going to save Little Mr. Skunk. I had seen that his mama had not made it and I could just leave hi there. I approached him and tried to shoo him off the road. That wasn't working. I noticed though that there was no smell. I got in the car and found a bag and went and put him in the bag nad carried him back to my van. I couldn't let him on the curve. I called Scott.

There was a lot more he said but all I remember was a big NO don't you bring that home. He was so tiny and so cute/Was I going to abandon him?? Certainly not. I also googled why he hadn't sprayed me and it turns out he was not old enough yet. Lots of story and pictures later nad I found a friend who could take him to a state park where he would find family. Not only did I learn baby skunks can't spray, but also that a mama skunk will take in any and all babies AND skunks are the number 2 carriers of rabies right behind racoons. In other words, kids DO NOT try this at home. 

So I turned a bend and there he was. I heard Scott's voice in my head. "Theresa, let it alone." But I couldn't I just couldn't. I approached him and I should have noticed although a baby he was bigger that my last friend. I needed to get him off the edge of the road and into the bush that led to the forest. I stomped and kicked in his direction. He wasn't amused. I MAY have waved my hand close to his face to get him to GO! He may have hissed. He may have sprayed a little. My phone may have been in the hand I was trying to shoo him with. He was a baby and it wasn't bad, but I could tell he for sure was a sprayer. Still I would not abandon him! I crossed the road and my foot smooshed into a wet muddy, muck but I did get a larger branch. I came back and used my large stick to poke and force him back into the green home. Finally he padded his way away from the edge of the road and into the forest. Tossing my stick, my good deed for the day was done. I hadn't noticed a smell until I brought my hand up to my forehead to wipe. Yeah, he was a little guy but he had gotten my hand. 

Although my walk was not over, I decided to head home. Scott working in the basement was surprised to see me so soon. I had to come home I told him. His first words without even seeing me yet was "You better not have brought any animals with you." Not really but come here. He turned the corner and gagged. "How did you get sprayed by a skunk.?" Well, ya see there was this baby and he was at the edge of the road and... "I have heard this story before." "Yeah but this one was bigger that the last one and I guess he was big enough to spray." "You know you don't have to rescue the world?" "If only, but this little guy needed help." I went to shower and scrub (using Dawn dish soap make up wipes and everything I could think of. Eventually I couldn't smell is on me but I spent the rest of my evening wiping at my phone case. 



Trust God from the bottom of your heart. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go: He's the one who will keep you on track 

Don't assume you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil!

Your body will glow with help  your very bones will vibrate with life. 

The Message- Proverbs 3:4-8

The curves and straight ahead. Certainly we never know what is around that bend. Perhaps a baby skunk who needs you. Or a new adventure or an ending you didn't see coming. Who knows. But the Word tells us if we trust (firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something) God, we know that He will keep us on track. If I am sticking close, He will guide me. If I ever find myself in the middle of a big forest of the edge of a scary road, i know I won't been alone. We walk together He and I. It's not always easy or fast, or makes any sense, but one thing i know it that it is good. Very good. I am so glad that I never walk around. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment