Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Eve- The Blame game

I have thought about what I have and how to just stop. Another lesson I learned from Eve? The blame game will get you nowhere.
     My daughter was throwing herself on her bed, flailing her arms about, and crying uncontrollable. I stood in her doorway. Arms crossed and made no move to help. "She sat up and swept her curly locks out of her tear streaked face. "Can't you see what they have done to me?" she cried. "Who?" I asked her.  "Them! Luke and Bella. They play with my stuff that I set up and ruin my whole game." "Well, I don't think it is their fault that you are choosing to act like this."  "I am having a bad day. I didn't get much sleep last night, I don't feel good, they ruin everything, and I just..(sob)...want...(sob)....to be left alone." ::blink, blink::
     First I was taken a back at this mini teenage argument with my 6 year old. Oh my. She was really acting like this was the end of the world. But also, I was not liking how she was really to blame the whole world for her situation. I sat and waited until she had calmed down. Then we talked about blame. Whose fault was what. How we need to take responsibility for our actions, even if our little brother did "deserve" to get a doll thrown at him...sigh.
     I thought of this when I was finishing my Eve bible study. In Genesis Chapter 3, God asks Adam what is going on? (my paraphrase) Adams answer "The woman you put here with me-she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Ahhhh... Good one. Blame God. Basically, Adam is saying this is not my fault. If anything God it is your fault. You put this woman here. Or if you don't want to go there, then it is this woman. After all, SHE picked it and SHE handed it to me. What was I to do?
     Then God turns to Eve, "What is this you have done?" How does she answer. "The serpent deceived me and so I ate." Not my fault. The devil made me do it.
     One of the very concerning things I am noticing in our culture, in adults and children alike, is the lack of responsibility and the abundance of excuses.  Why is your room a mess? You let me stay up to late. Why is your homework not done? My mom didn't remind me. Of course there should be more of this in children. They are learning about taking responsibility. But in adults? Surly there comes a time when we are grown and take responsibility for our actions, for our choices.
     I saw a quote on facebook the other day that made me chuckle.


Don't tell my kids it says stupid. But seriously, sometimes it is your fault. It is my fault. I acted like a jerk. I could give you a host of reasons as to why it should be ok. I am very pregnant. My husband promised and her forgot. My kids won't listen. The list could go on and on. But when it comes right down to it I am responsible for me. Especially when I make the choice to go outside of God's will and sin. No one made me do it. I had a choice. I made it.
     Thankfully the Bible told me that this is not the end. My bad choice, my sin, is not the end. Admitting that yes I was wrong is not where my story ends.
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."  1 John 1:8,9  In short, I admit it, he forgives me. If I continue to play the blame game, I find no peace. It will always be someone or something else. I lose control of my choices and my life. I have handed over the reins to another. I don't want anyone having that kind of power over me. I make my choices. When they are wrong, I admit it. I blame no one but myself. I go to God to say "I am sorry" and we begin again.
     I wonder how things may have turned out had Adam and Eve gone to God looking for mercy instead of presenting excuses. But then we know the end of that story don't we. That is where this old and new combine. God would send His one and only son. That those who are looking for forgiveness will receive it. That his blood would cover anyone who knelt and asked. That means placing the blame where it belongs. On me.

No comments:

Post a Comment