Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2020

The bleeding woman

Luke 40-48




*** bleeding woman***



I sat carefully down at the breakfast table that had taken me most of the morning to get here. If you were to see my emaciated body, all muscle and fatty tissues that have wasted away, you would figure me at most a teenage girl just running late to school. “Veronica, eat! Drink! We can’t keep going backwards. The doctor told you to drink your juice and eat your bread. Mother swept out with a basket of clothes under her arm. I do not let her sharp tempter hassle me. I looked at the plate mama had laid out for me. I can smell something sour and moldy coming from the cup. Another conconcution of the newest and the last set of doctors. This elixor was to help slow the blood in my body. Although she had gone to the extra trouble of cutting off my crust - I realise how ridiculous that sounds for an almost 30 year old year-The very thought of putting that in my mouth developed a lump in my throat, and I realized nothing was going down this morning



To try and not upset my mother I drain the juice in the sink and throw away the bread. She wouldn’t ask, and I wouldn't have to lie. This is our life. Twelve years ago, I believed the best days of my life were in front of me. My bleeding cycle continued which symbolized I was now a woman. The only problem was the blood never left. When You are on your monthly cycle, our Faith has rules we must abide by. Once a woman starts to bleed she is “unclean” for seven days and any one who touches me would also become unclean.



When day 8, 9 10, and more came, when the bleeding won't stop no one would tell me what was going on. What was happening to my body or when would others be able to be near me again. I would walk every morning praying to Jevovah today would be the day. “In time,” the doctors would say and walk away. Leaving my family with a large medical bill. My mother tried her very, very best. She took me to some doctors who ran some tests, and gave us some ideas but the swelling to my toes, feel and ankles would continue. We were getting desperate so we went to some less reputable doctors. Some came up with some very odd and painful ways to treat me. I knew I had been getting worse. My labored breathing was a constant picture of my health, and physical weakness kept me in bed most days. I knew the strain I put on my family was great.



One morning, when I was bundled under my covers, I heard a conversation between my mama and Auntie. Auntie suggested that we end the ridiculous chase. We could not go to synagogue, people walk on the other side of the road when they see our family coming, and you have nothing else to sell. The debtors are coming! Mama retorted, “What am I to do then? Let her die. Throw her to the front yard and pick up the bones after the vultures are done?” I was under the covers, but whatever my Aunt’s eyes showed infuriated my mother. “Get out, Get out, and not until you are welcomed back in!” Then I heard the door slam.



Mother came in my room obviously upset, and began cleaning. She was mumbling about fake healers and snake oil in bottles. “Mama?” I whisper. She jumped. I must have surprised her. “I thought you were asleep little one?” “Little indeed, but not young one.” “Don’t listen to your Aunt. she doesn't keep the house half as well as she would have us believe. When Jerimiah came down with that evil disease that butchered every animal in the yard to get the medicine to heal him!” “But mama,” I sighed, “it has been 12 years and I am not getting better. If anything I am getting worse. Maybe…..” “NO!”



Mama shouted. I have never seen mama so frazzled. “My Angel, listen to me. Your birth was hard, the fact that both of us are here alive is a miracle. After a dangerous all through the night delivery, I had my last push and I thought you were dead. Another woman who I had never seen before took you and began to rub your back.. Then she quotes scripture to your ears, and wrapped your little feet tight and warm. She said “Now you will breath. You have things to do in this world and people who need you.” The dark skinned woman with a cinnamon glow handed me my baby, and she whispered “Breath. And baby girl you gave a scream I have never heard the likes of since. I knew something big was coming for you. “ “But Mama...” NO BUT MAMA!” He didn’t save you then, to give up on you know. We are going to get this,”



My mama had gone through too much. I had made my final decision. As crazy as this sounds, I am going to find the one they call Jesus. I didn’t know much other than the major leaders of our religion despite him. I went to them too. They told my mama she must have been quite a sinner, or I was cursed. They want nothing to do with me. So bypassing this group was not the biggest deal. We had talked at a family meal about the holy healings he was doing. We joked about taking me, but how could I get close. I was considered unclean, and anyone who touched me was unclean. No holy man or member of the holy man’s group would let me anywhere close.



This morning had done it for me. My mother tossed out her own sister for me and it will spiral until they lay me in the ground. I had a plan. A reckless, spontaneous, and completely not thought out, but a plan nonetheless. I was so tired of never being about to leave my house. Without hearing horrible names they called as I walked down the street. I attended school sparsely at first due to the constant badgering, but then I had to quit because I physically couldn’t continue. I spent more time asleep than awake now.



I had found it! I found when Jesus would be passing through our town. “I can do this!” I told myself and then took out the door. I moved slowly due to my illness. Then it occurred to me that the plan was to find Jesus and then what? I can't touch him. That would make a clean man unclean. I would be killed on the spot. What if he doesn’t want to listen to a cursed woman? What if He has done His miracles of the day? What if the religious leaders were right and this man was a liar? All of the sudden DESPERATION went through my head. I HAD to do this. Sane people still had options. People who still had checkboxes left with God could afford to be cautious. But I have nothing left. I am out of money, out of options, out of ideas, out of ideals. The only thing I have left is finding Jesus.



On foot after another I tell myself. Just keep walking and you will find Him. I saw the massive crowd before I would see him. Even from this distance I could see the teacher was tired. Next time he comes I think I will find him I thought. A voice in my head very strongly said “There will not be a next time.” I reached the edge of the crowd. Finally a use for me being so small! I could slip up and under, beside, beneath, and I could see him. In my head, I played conversations over and over.



“Oh Jesus, if I could just have a minute?” or “Jesus I know that you are so busy but if you could just lay your lands on…..” It came to me. No one had to know that this unclean woman had touched this clean man. I could get close enough and touch his prayer shawl. That’s it! I know if I could just touch this man I would be healed. I got close. I could see his prayer tassel flow this way and that way in the wind. If I could just ….reach….out….and touch. As soon as my hand came in contact with him, I knew I was healed. It was a warmness that flowed from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet. I felt strong. I felt new.



I was HEALED. After so many failures it felt odd to say this, but I know without a shadow or a doubt, my bleeding had stopped. I even felt stronger in my legs and clearer in my head. Where man after man had failed, Christ with one touch healed. Then I felt as if my heart stopped when the Master said “Who touched me?” I knew it was over. An unclean woman touched the cleanest of the clean men. I was dead. Death by stoning. Peter tried to convince him that everyone was pushing on him. How can we find just one? My heart almost settles. But Jesus said, “Someone deliberately touched me, for I felt healing power go out from me.”



No going back now. I deserved whatever consequences I received. I tried to stand but my legs were so shaky I actually collapsed in front of the Savior. “I have no right to be in the same area as you. I have bled for the last 12 year and nothing could help. I was dying. So I came to touch you. Not to beg or plead my cas, e but simply touch your tassel and be healed. My head down, the rocks grating into my knees, I felt him kneel down beside me.. He took hold of my chin and said “Daughter,”he smiled, “your faith has made you well. Go in peace.” My eyes filled as I repeated the word “daughter” over and over. This clean, holy, and just man had called me daughter. The law demanded death and retribution. He first healed my blood, and then with one word, the word daughter, healed my soul. I know He was on his way to something or someone. He smiled and nodded. The first time in 12 years, I smiled back.

No comments:

Post a Comment