Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Perfection

           
When I was a kid, I would spend hours and hours trying to best this game. For those of you who might not have had the pleasure of playing this game, the objective is simple. Get all of the pieces in place before the timer goes off and the board pops up, throwing the pieces everywhere. I was terrible at this game. As soon as the timer would begin, each tick would vibrate through my soul. Sometimes I would freeze up, and wouldn’t be able to put one piece in. Sometimes I would start off strong and think I for sure got it, and then pop! All the pieces would come spilling out. I never remember ever getting it.

            Adult life is a lot like this. Striving for perfection. Laying all the pieces out. Hearing the ticking time bomb. Not making it in time and watching all the pieces bounce and clank. Got that mom piece in, now looking for where I put the wife one. Got teacher, sister, and daugher in place, but that reflect Jesus piece slipped out of my hand and rolled under the fridge.
            I may never get all my pieces in line at the same time this side of eternity. That is ok. There is no perfection. Sometimes I feel like everyone else has all their pieces in and are just sitting there with no ticking, and no weird shaped pieces, and no one screaming that the cheese pizza has green specks which you try to explain is flavoring but they are never eating pizza again….
            I need to learn to give myself some grace and a break. Some Days I may be on a roll ( It may happen..) and other days I may have trouble getting the game out of the box or maybe missing a few pieces. That is ok! I am ok! I also know that the One who created the flowers, thunderstorms, and rainbows is also directing my path and helping the pieces to fall in place. I never got this, but I know that WE do. That assurance is worth all the successes, failures, and victories on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment