Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Once upon a time

Once upon a time….in the land of make believe….there was a fresh faced young girl who knew her life was going to be perfect. First, she would conquer the world in her career. She was choosing to work with children and was going to change the world one kid at a time. Her shining stars would grow brighter; her struggling ones would excel under her tutoring. It would be amazing. In the land of make believe.



Her marriage would be a fairytale. Her prince would come and fulfill her every wish and desire. He would be strong and handsome. Trustworthy and dedicated. No disappointment would grace her door. He would love her sacrificially and make sure all of her needs were met. And she would be the picture perfect wife. In the land of make believe.


Her children would rise up and call her blessed. They too would be a step above the rest. After all, mom and dad are perfect. Dinner on the table every night, homework completed without a fight or mess, socks all matched in the drawers, and a goodnight story and kiss to end every night. In the land of make believe.


Her house would be breath taking. But not in a huge overstated way. A comfortably, always clean way. Where people felt welcomed and refreshed. She would be the perfect host. Floor spotless and dishes done. Pictures of her perfect marriage and perfect children graced the walls. In the land of make believe.


However, the land of make believe was not to be. The funny thing about perfect is that the more you try to move towards it, the further it seems to get. It is like the end of the rainbow. Just when it seems in sight, it moves. It vanishes, or suddenly becomes something different.


The girl discovered that not all things are perfect. One of the most shocking discoveries was how selfish she herself was. Love didn’t seem to flow like it should but in silly childish starts and stops. Her frustrations continued as her laundry piles grew, the children fought and cried, her husband had his own priorities, and life seemed to spin out of control.  The dishearted girl….in the land of reality…..cried, “I can’t do it. This is not what I thought it would be.” And this is where her story turned.

In all reality, would perfect be all that wonderful. If I had perfect, would I know the feeling of triumph after so many failures? Would I know the feeling of hope and courage after rising after so many falls? Would I know the joy of sacrificial and unconditional love that flows from one imperfect person to another?

 
But most importantly, it is in my weakness where Christ can be my strength. In the surrender of myself and all my perfect dreams where freedom can come. The Bible tells me “Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Cor 12:9-10


We often think of strength as in being in control. Of following your plan. But even on my strongest day, I am nothing but a vapor compared to the goodness and strength of my God. Why then do we carry it alone? Why must we stick to the plan? Lasting purpose and strength come from God alone. Transformation of my mind, body, and spirit are best left in His perfect hands. Certainly not mine. What I thought as perfect was fake. What I know as good and right is the path He has set out and that He oversees.


So I must let go. Leaving the world of make believe behind to face my world of reality. But in knowing that my reality with my God is better than a thousand days of "perfect."

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, and I can so relate! I love the quote in your blog header too - that is the TRUTH, right there.

    ReplyDelete