Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

When things don't go as planned

Sometimes things don't go as planned. For example, who would have thought that after hours of looking for my sons reading book, I would find it in my pajamas drawer.

Who would have thought that I would have come home from my night class in sweats and high heels. Yesterday I decided to wear a dress, pantyhose, and heels to work. But I also had my night class. I decided to pack up sweats and socks to change into once I reached the night class. Except I realized after I got there that I forgot to pack my sneakers. I spent the evening in my socks and then wore my heels (and sweats) out to the car and home. Things don't always go as planned.

For Lent I decided to do a blessing book. It is a project I have done before. At the end of the day I make a list of all I am thankful for and write it in the book. I had a great idea to involve the kids. We could gather together and each talk about how we are thankful for family and friends. Say our night prayers and then they will all go to sleep like the sweet little angels they are. Things don't always go as planned.

My husband is sick. Very sick. So one night one of the blessings book, daddy was passed out in the bedroom next door with a raging fever. The baby was sleeping so I gathered 1, 2 and 3 and tried to explain to them about the blessings book and that Easter is coming. My boys were way more interested in tackling each other and putting each other in a head lock. My daughter was pretty interested in trying to do her Barbie's hair.

I asked what they were all thankful for. "My eyebrows" That would be my daughter. She then began to name every body part she has. I also have been tired and sick so I yanked the blanket off the boys and told them to "knock it off and think of something to Thank Jesus for." nice.

Finally we got through the blessings book. I planned to write my own notes on the back. However, I laid down with the kids and woke up at 2:30 in the morning. I had not done my own devotionals and had not done my own blessings list. As I drove to work the next day, I thought about in my head it had looked so perfect and how imperfect it had turned out.

The next night I came home from my night class. Tired and ready for bed, I went to get the blessings book and it wasn't where I had left it. I was tempted to skip it. But the kids brought it up and asked if we were doing it. We went on a blessings book hunt. Found it in Luke's toy box. We all gathered in Will and Rachel's bed. Luke snuggled up on Daddy's lap and the others stayed by me. I asked them what they were thankful for. Rachel said her eyelids and blood. Luke said games. Will asked if we could ask Jesus to help make Daddy feel better. Our list was longer than it was last night. We prayed.

I went to my room. I wrote my blessings. Sometimes things don't always go as planned. Kids thank God for lips and boys arm wrestle under the covers. At least I am teaching them to be thankful. To remember everything that they have been blessed with. I wrote how thankful I am each eyebrow. Each little voice. I am so blessed that we can go to bed with full bellies and under warm covers. It can be overwhelming when you start to look at all you are given.

Each night we have been doing our blessings book. Each night the kids remind me of things I never thought of to mention. Good thing things don't always go as planned.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't stop smiling as I read your post! You are doing it right mom - and right does not mean "perfect" and as you so beautifully stated, most times right is not how we pictured it! What your children want most of all is "time" with you and hubby and their memory of the blessing book will be wrapped in the warmth and safety and love of home...not that it was done perfect each day! I just want to hug you! I just lifted up a prayer for your hubby and your family! Blessings to u!

    ReplyDelete